Learn how to get help

Learn how to get help

UNSW has many services and people that can help you with all aspects of your studies and life.

For all help

If you need help with anything but are not sure where to find it then you can always ask The Nucleus, UNSW’s student hub. They will direct you to the right place.

For help with technology

If you need help with wifi, email, printing, passwords, IT outages, file storage, policies and software access then go to IT Services. You can contact them by email at itservicecentre@unsw.edu.au, or by phone on 02 9385 1333 (8am - 8pm on Monday to Friday), or via the MytiBot on their website.

For help with your courses

If you have any questions or concerns about one of your courses then get in touch with your course staff - they will be eager to help you. You can contact them via the course site in Moodle. If illness or other circumstances beyond your control are interfering with your work then you can apply for special consideration.

For help with your academic work

Academic Skills provide one-on-one consults to all UNSW current students. All consultations are free and held online or on campus. They provide students with support and build confidence in their academic work. Their learning facilitators can assist you with questions regarding, writing skills, referencing, critical thinking, and so much more. If you would like to book a consult, visit the Academic Skills page.

For help with careers and employment

UNSW is committed to helping you succeed beyond the classroom and into the workforce. UNSW Careers gives you access to a job board, career advice, seminars, workshops, and other online resources. They also offer career advice consultations for post-graduate students. If you are an international student, then there are resources specifically for you, including job search strategies, Australian working regulations, and an International Student Employability Guide.

For international student support

If you are an international student, then International Student Life has a range of services available to you, from enrolment through to graduation. They aim to provide you with an inspiring and culturally rich student experience.

For counselling and mental health support

Psychology and Wellness provides free and confidential counselling, workshops and seminars for skills development, and self-help resources that promote wellbeing and help you adjust to university life. You can also access Mind Smart guides, a series of self-help resources for developing resilience and self-management skills, and Student Minds, a mental health outreach program driven by students.

For support with bullying

Like other online interactions you might occasionally feel like you are being bullied, harassed or discriminated against, most likely by a fellow student. You have a right to feel safe and to be treated fairly and respectfully, and UNSW provides support if you find yourself in this situation.

For Indigenous support

Nura Gili provides a range of student support services for Indigenous students at UNSW.

For disability support

If you are managing the demands of university while having a health condition, a learning disability, or personal circumstances that are impacting on your studies, our Equitable Learning Services might be able to assist you.

For scholarships and awards

UNSW offers many scholarships and awards to help students who might otherwise struggle financially. There are scholarships and awards for faculties, for schools, for industries, for rural students, for Indigenous Australian students, for international students, and for high achieving students.

For LGBTIQ support

Are you LGBTIQ+? UNSW recognises that you might experience social exclusion that impacts on your health and study. The ally@UNSW Network is a group of trained staff and students, helping to ensure that UNSW is a safe, welcoming place for all LGBTIQ+ staff and students.

For legal and advocacy support

If you have any legal issues that arise while you are studying, you can ask Arc Legal & Advocacy for support (if you are an Arc member). They can help you with university advocacy, employment contracts, tenancy issues, and more. There are other Legal Advice Services available as well.

For student council and collective support

UNSW has a Student Representative Council, a Postgraduate Council, and various student Collectives – groups of elected students who make sure that you have a voice in the running of UNSW. If you have any opinions and would like to be heard, get in touch. There are lots of ways to get involved and be a part of the wider UNSW community.